Scooters are available for rent for 50,000-70,000RPH ($5-$7) per day. Most of them don’t carry insurance – so if you break it or it gets stolen – you have to pay for it. Just be wary of this when you hire a scooter from anyone. We also recommend that you take a video of the scooter you hire before you use it and take it for a quick spin within view of the owner to feel for anything that could be wrong with the bike. Whilst the locals are friendly people – not all are looking after your best interest so take this safety precaution to ensure your stay is as enjoyable as possible.
A few tips of scooter use in Lombok;
- Stay as far to the left as possible so that cars can overtake you. This is especially true if you are heading toward a blind corner or over a hill (where you can’t see what is coming toward you). For some reason – the concept of the white line in the middle is missed here and drivers also overtake when they can’t see what is coming.
- Always park your bike in areas which are known tourist locations.
- Lombok is still classified as third-world, so don’t be fooled by the bubble that is the tourist area. For this reason – ensure if you are travelling away from the city centre – you do not carry valuable items or wear expensive jewellery that would catch the eye of thieves.
- Ensure the lights, horn and brakes work properly.
- Always let your host know where you are going and what time you will be returning. If you have a phone – give them your mobile number and likewise- make sure you take theirs so you can get them in an emergency or if you get lost.
- Keep a copy of your travel insurance plan handy on your mobile. In the event of an emergency – being able to provide this information to paramedics will ensure that you are taken to a hospital that is covered by your insurance policy.